Ohhhh romance. Just what everyone craves, right? The Valentine’s day marketing machine and the quest for social acceptance can make what I like to call “Single Awareness Day” a cruel day. Whether you are alone by choice or by circumstance, it’s hard to see what else life has to offer when you are surrounded by flowers, chocolates, romantic comedies, and never ending advertisements on tv.
Fear not, you are not alone if you are celebrating this Valentine’s day alone. Resist the urge to couple up, if it isn’t happening for your right now, don’t worry, your time will come soon enough. For now, celebrate your singleness and celebrate the moment. It is never easy being single when society puts social happiness in finding your mate, but I am here to share with you, my top 5 ways of to be happy when you’re single on Valentine’s Day.
- Laugh it up – Laughter always boosts your mood, reduces stress, and makes you feel better. On Valentine’s day have your own funny movie marathon, enjoy some stand-up comedy and laugh to your heart’s content! Cuddle up on your couch with your pet and your favorite blanket and laugh the night away. Treat yourself to a healthy snack and just keep smiling beautiful, because life is so much more than one day of singleness.
- Get some perspective – If you feel sad because of Valentine’s day singleness and loneliness, it might help to realize that there are plenty of other single people experiencing the same emotions as well. You are not alone! Actually, the majority of the US and UK are single rather than in a relationship. Even if you feel alone, you really aren’t.
- Love your singleness – I have been told time and time again that relationships are more work than they appear. Think about all the marvelous benefits of being single. You don’t have to fight over what to watch on TV, you don’t have to share your pizza or your dessert for that matter. If you are feeling sorry for yourself for being single, remember that you don’t have to make any compromises that come with being in a relationship. Your happiness always comes first when you are single, so go ahead and love your single self!
- Treat yourself – I know the idea of taking yourself on a date might sound kinda strange, but this is one of the best ways to learn how to be happy alone. Treat yourself to a massage, it will relieve any tension built up from work or home and it will make you feel amazing. Going to a movie or a restaurant alone will help you become more comfortable with yourself and you can even choose to go where you want to go without compromising with friends or family. If all else fails, retail therapy is ALWAYS a good idea.
- Do whatever you want – Please don’t read this blog post as a list of things that you absolutely have to do. Go ahead and do whatever you want, whatever makes you happy on the inside and out. This list is meant to provide some inspiration and to guide you in the direction of happiness. You are the CEO of your life, you should take full ownership of your actions. No one in the world knows you better than you know yourself, so do whatever makes you feel happy and fulfilled.
One last bonus tip. If you need an instant pick me up, put on your favorite song and dance around your apartment. I have personally been listening to the Anti-Valentine’s Day Playlist on Spotify and it has kept a smile on my face the entire time.
You are beautiful and always remember you are not alone. I am celebrating this Valentine’s day with me, myself and I, but I got dressed up for date night and I thought I would share my outfit with all my lovely blog readers.
Dress – Ted Baker
Watch – Michael Kors
Purse – Forever 21
Heels – Tods
Photos taken by: Dasol Min
It can be a bummer to be single on Valentine’s Day, but only if you allow it to be. You deserve to be happy, with or without a partner, so do everything in your power to make this fake holiday a positive one. I hope this blog post has encouraged you to gee happy with yourself and know that you are not alone even if you feel like you are. If you enjoyed this blog post, I would love if you saved/heart it on Bloglovin’! If you want to get instant updates on my life make sure to follow me on Snapchat (@anikazzz) or check out my Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.