In today’s world, we are constantly surrounded my images, messages, and merchandise that constantly pull us into the mindset that “you can be better”. There is nothing wrong with striving for more or pushing yourself to be better, but some of these messages and images make it very difficult to form a healthy and loving relationship with yourself. In today’s world, the importance of self-love is almost completely forgotten. It is so important to practice self-love first and always. You are your own best friend and you will know yourself the longest. Loving yourself should not be a task or chore. Today I want to share how to make self-love something you do daily, so here are my 5 steps for a better relationship with yourself.
Why is it important to practice self-love? To truly feel gratitude and acceptance in all aspects of life you need to be in a loving relationship with yourself. Even those who are in love with who they are can always Love themselves even more. Think about it, you are the only person you are around all the time and if you can’t accept and love yourself, how can others? That’s exactly why I’ve created this list on how you can practice more self-love. You’re worth every second you spend that helps you live a happier, healthier, and stress-free life.
1. Take yourself on a date. Seriously! You like yourself right? Then why not treat yourself to some “me” time. Go to your favorite restaurant and order your favorite meal and spend all that time basking in your own company. If you find it strange dining out alone, then bring a book. Or if you’ve been dying to see a new film, take yourself to the movies. For the longest time, I thought the movies were a date or couple thing to do, but I recently went to the movies alone and I realized that it’s really a solo activity. No talking, no one watching you, just quiet and your favorite film.
2. Pick up a hobby you’ve always wanted to learn. Even if you feel like you don’t have enough time, you’ve always got time. Just make time. Even if you only spend 1-2 hours a week learning your new hobby, you’re proven to increase your self-esteem by realizing your awesomeness and when you master your new hobby you feel like such a boss! Over time you will realize that you have more to offer than you ever thought possible.
3. Go for a walk. Exercise has been proven to improve your mood. With the release of epinephrine, you’ll immediately feel more empowered to live life. I know not everyone has time to go to the gym or a class before or after work. But we all have time for a quick walk at least 3 times a week. I’ve personally started to go on a walk during my lunch break at work. I walk for at least 50minutes a day and I feel so much better. At first, it is always hard to get started but you all continuously feel and look better over time. Stop sitting around and get started. If you are too busy during your work day, then get off your train a stop before your stop and walk the rest of the way home or park your car further away from your house so you have to walk.
4. Laugh… a lot! Watch a funny RomCom on Netflix’s or hang out with your funniest friends – whatever it takes to laugh, just do it. Laughing speeds up your metabolism and increases the “feel good” chemicals in your brain. Keep smiling and laughing, even if you are laughing at yourself, soon people will start to be more attracted to you because laughter is contagious.
5. Start a Gratitude list! I do this every morning and it is a great habit to form. Every day you should write down 5 things that you are grateful for. Since we live in a fast paced and super busy world we usually take things for granted to a point where we forget to appreciate everything life has given us. Always remember to be grateful! Appreciating even the smallest of things in your life will make you realize how much love and happiness surround you and will automatically make you love yourself more for having such an amazing life!
All in all happier individuals equal a happier world. Self-love is the most important kind of love in the world, in my opinion. People who care about taking care of themselves will ultimately shower the people around them with love as well. Never forget you are worth it and have a blast wooing yourself!
Skirt – Zara
Top – H&M
Heels – Tods
Handbag – Rebecca Minkoff
I hope this blog post has encouraged you to remember you are doing the best that you can and that we are all just trying to love ourselves a bit more. If you enjoyed this blog post, I would love if you saved/heart it on Bloglovin’! If you want to get instant updates on my life make sure to follow me on Snapchat (@anikazzz) or check out my Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter.