I am short, 5’1 on a good day, and I still love putting on a saree just as much as the next South Asian girl, but sometimes being short doesn’t always work in my favor when wearing a saree. Sarees stand out as the most popular piece of Indian clothing and it is a timeless piece that everyone can wear. You can drape a saree in a number of different ways for shorter girls and there are a number of different ways to hold yourself in a saree to make yourself look and feel taller.
Draping a saree is a work of art. A saree worn in an untidy or unfashionable way can ruin your day. Some women feel that they cannot pull off a saree as well as a tall or slimmer figured woman, but I am here to give you 10 pointers on how we shorties can rock as saree just as well, if not better, than the tall women out there. A saree is timeless and sophisticated and when you follow these 10 steps I am sure you will look stunning in one!
- Wear high heels – This one is a given, but put on your heels when it comes to wearing a saree. As short women, we all need a little extra help making our legs look longer and leaner. I almost always prefer a stiletto heel because of the height they give me, but if that isn’t your cup of tea then I would say to go with block heels that aren’t too thick to help you appear to be tall and thin.
- Go for a fitted or slim fit petticoat – When you wear a saree you have to wear a petticoat (underskirt) in order to make sure you can tuck in the saree properly. In order to give yourself the illusion of being taller, you should go for a petticoat that is your size and slim cut so you don’t have extra fabric adding bulk to your saree. Also, a great way to make sure your petticoat isn’t too long is to roll it under so that it is the right length and isn’t hanging below your saree. The best length petticoat is just at your ankles, anything longer will show under the saree and anything shorter will show through the saree.
- Pin it right! – Placing the pins in the right place also plays a huge role in how your saree is draped. The way you pin your saree can make the difference between a well put together look and a completely messy one. When creating the creases, make sure they are quite thin and if need be ironed them before hand so they lay flat and easier to pin down.
- Choose the right fabric – This is so important. You want to make sure that you pick a saree with a light weight material so it will make you look taller. A thick or heavy material will only add more weight to your appearance and will look like it weighs you down.
- Say YES to vertical stripes – On the off chance that you end up picking a saree with some sort of pattern, go for vertical stripes. These stripes give you a deception of tallness. Make sure they are thin to medium sized stripes. Anything with horizontal stripes should be avoided as they will make you look wider and shorter.
- NO to a big print –Basically, you should avoid enormous prints that cover the majority of the saree. They will make you look broader than you are and might actually look like they are overpowering your smaller frame. Go for a smaller print or a saree with think borders. I personally think plain sprees with a darker colored border will make you look tall.
- Go for black – When in doubt, wear black. This is my motto for every outfit in life, not just saris, but there is some magic in the color black. Whether you are curvy, short, tall or anything in-between ,everyone looks flawless in black. The darker shade will give you a classier look and instantly make you look slimmer.
- Choose the right blouse – Much the same as the saree, maintain a strategic distance from a blouse with horizontal stripes. Make sure you offset the material of your blouse from the material of your saree. If you had a heavy saree with a lot of work then go for a lighter or more plain blouse. Wearing a heavy saree and a heavy material blouse will weigh you down and make you look shorter.
- Wear a well fitted blouse – This is just as important as the blouse material. Make sure your blouse fits you. If you wear a blouse that is too big for you then you will look smaller than you actually are. Also make sure the blouse is the right length, not too long and not too short. A well tailored blouse will tie the entire saree look together.
- Saree Pallu – Finally, my last tip, and the only way I wear my sarees is to pin up the pallu. Pinning up the pallu will make you look taller and more put together. Wearing a pallu across your arm will actually cover more of your body which will give the illusion of shortness.