I never realized how easy it was to make chicken dumplings from scratch at home. With all my spare time sitting at home I took a stab at making dumplings from scratch. Homemade dumplings are healthy and easy to make and perfect as a light meal or appetizer. You can use this recipe for chicken dumplings or you can change up the meat to anything you prefer. A lot of people use pork or prawns for filling as well.
It’s very crucial that the chicken dumpling filling is moist and juicy, so you want to choose boneless and skinless chicken thighs instead of chicken breast. Chicken thighs is fattier, which is perfect as a filling. The other key ingredient is mushrooms or if you prefer you can also add Chinese cabbage.
Dumpling Wrapper Ingredients:
250g Plain white flour
1/2 cup water
Chicken Dumpling Filling Ingredients:
1 kg ground chicken thigh meat
500 g finely chopped mushrooms
3 cloves finely diced garlic
1 finely diced green chili
3 stalks of diced spring onion
1 finely diced shallot
1 inch of grated fresh ginger
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tbsp mirin
24-30 Wonton Wrappers or make your own dumpling wrappers (see above)
- Mix ground chicken thighs, mushrooms, garlic, green chili, spring onion, shallots, ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil, and mirin in a bowl.
- If you are making homemade dumpling wrapper, combine the all-purpose flour, water and knead until the dough isn’t sticky and the surface becomes smooth. Cover it with a damp cloth and rest for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface into a long cylinder. Cut the cylinders in half, and then cut each cylinder into 12 small pieces. Dust the rolling pin and roll each piece of the dough into a dumpling wrapper about 4 inches in diameter. Set aside for the filling. You may use store-bought dumpling wrapper and skip this step.
- Add about a teaspoon of filling into the center fo the dumpling wrapper and pleat or fold the dumpling.
- Heat up a pot of water and bring it to boil. Drop the dumplings gently into the water, boil for a few minutes until the dumplings float to the top. Use a strainer to scoop them out and transfer to a plate. Repeat the same until all dumplings are boiled.
- Heat up a skillet with some oil. Arrange about 8 dumplings on the skillet and pan-fry the dumplings until the bottom turns light brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Turn it over and pan-fry the other sides of the dumplings. Add more oil and repeat the same process above until all dumplings are turn golden brown and become crispy. Serve the dumplings warm with the dipping sauce.
- If you have any extra uncooked dumplings feel free to freeze them for cooking on another day.