Have you tried Wagamama’s firecracker chicken? If you don’t live in the UK you probably haven’t. Which is a sad sad thing. Firecracker chicken is my favorite item on Wagamama’s menu. It is spicy and full of flavor. Whether you have had Firecracker chicken a million times or this is your first time hearing about it I am happy to share how I made a Friday Fakeaway and make this delicious dish at home.
I would love to tell you that I made this recipe from the ideas in my head, but I actually took this from Wagamama’s Instagram account. Throughout lockdown they had this great campaign going where they would share the idea of ‘Wok from Home’. Their own chefs would share the ingredients and recipes for their classic dishes so that you can make your own firecracker chicken at home even when they weren’t delivering. They have opened up delivery again but I have to say now that I have the recipe below it makes it so easy for me to make this at home whenever I want.
Ingredients for the Firecracker Sauce:
(This will make more than one serving and you can save the extra in a jar or container)
50ml Yakitori Sauce (Check ingredients below to make this sauce)
50ml Oyster Sauce
100ml Siracha Sauce
2 Tbsp Fish Sauce
2 Tbsp Dried Chili Flakes
6 Tbsp Honey
3 Tbsp Sweet Chili Sauce
Ingredients for Yakitori Sauce:
1 Tbsp Sake
1 Tbsp Mirin
6 Tbsp Light Soy Sauce
1 Tsp Sugar
Ingredients for the Dish:
120 grams Jasmin Rice
1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
1 Piece of Fresh Ginger
2 Garlic Cloves
2 Spring Onions
1 Bell Pepper
2 Chicken Thighs
50 grams Snow Peas
1 Red Chili
100ml Firecracker Sauce
Optional Garnish – Dried Chili Flakes, Sesame Seeds, Spring Onions, Lime Wedge
How to make Firecracker Chicken:
- Cut chicken into medium sized cubes or strips
- Marinate the chicken in a dash of salt, vinegar and black pepper.
- Heat oil in a wok and let the oil get very hot. Add grated garlic paste and garlic and then add the chicken. Add dried chili (optional).
- Fry the chicken with onions, pepper, snow peas and dried chili.
- Stir in the green onions and keep cooking down.
- Add in your firecracker sauce and bring the heat down to let the sauce simmer. Take off the heat once all items are cooked through.
- Cook jasmine rice and place in a small bowl. Flip the bowl over on a plate to get the dome shape of the rice you see in Wagamama.
- Add your chicken to the plate and garnish with dried Chili Flakes, sesame seeds, spring onions, and a lime wedge.
I hope you give this recipe a try. I was so pleased with myself when I tried this. I didn’t expect much at first but I would have to say I think I can be a Wagamama chef now that I have mastered this recipe. If you do give it a try let me know in the comments below! Also if you liked this recipe I think you would love my Pizza DIY Kit post!